You have decided that you are ready to take on your next step to becoming a REALTOR®, now what? Get licensed.
Firstly, you must be 19 years of age and in good standing of reputation with the Real Estate Council of BC, and hold no criminal record.
There are two organizations that are integral to your licensing in British Columbia. They are – The University of British Columbia (UBC) & The British Columbia Real Estate Association (BCREA). In 2015 the industries licensing process was modernized in an effort to help agents be better equipped for the rigours of the business after passing the exam. This new process which is administered by BCREA on behalf of the Real Estate Council of BC is called the Applied Practices Course.
10 steps to get licensed
- Register for Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course through the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business – Real Estate Division.
- Enrol in the REL 101 Course *This is optional but recommended by RE/MAX.
- Work through the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course material, either on your own or with the assistance of the REL 101 tutoring course, to complete the 20 chapter assignments.
- After completing the chapter assignments, register for the exam offered through UBC.
- After passing the exam, sign up for the Applied Practices Course through BCREA.
- Review the License Application Form
- Obtain a Criminal Record Check
- After completing Components 1 & 2 of the Applied Practices course, then engage with a brokerage.
- Apply for Licensing with the Real Estate Council of British Columbia RECBC.
- Start working as a REALTOR® and complete components 3 & 4 of the applied practices course
Keep your start-up costs top of mind and on budget, read here for more information on the costs of licensing.
For more information and FAQ’s, contact us today